Periodontal (gum) disease therapy is a crucial component of dental care aimed at preventing tooth loss and maintaining oral health. This comprehensive treatment approach targets the inflammation and infection of the gums and underlying bone, commonly caused by the buildup of plaque and tartar.
At Dr. Clementine C. Ignacio, DMD, we offer periodontal therapy that typically involves deep cleaning procedures like scaling and root planing to remove the harmful bacteria and calculus, thus allowing the gums to heal and reattach to the teeth. Effective management of gum disease not only halts its progression but also prevents tooth loss by preserving the supporting structures of the teeth.
Regular maintenance and follow-up care are essential to manage and monitor the condition, ensuring patients can enjoy a healthier and fully functional dentition for years.
Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Persistent bad breath
- Receding gums, making teeth appear longer
- Changes in your bite or the way your teeth fit together
- Formation of deep pockets between teeth and gums
- Pain or sensitivity while chewing
Periodontal Disease Treatments
Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing is a nonsurgical treatment that involves removing plaque and tartar from above and below the gum line. Our dentist in Anaheim will clean your teeth and smooth the root surfaces to prevent future buildup. This treatment is often recommended for patients with mild-to-moderate gum disease.
Laser dentistry is a minimally invasive treatment option that uses a laser to remove bacteria and decay from the teeth and gums. It’s a safe and effective way to treat gum disease without causing damage to the surrounding tissues.
Pocket Reduction Surgery
Pocket reduction surgery involves folding back the gum tissue and removing tartar deposits from the tooth’s root surfaces. The tissue is then secured back into place with sutures. This reduces the depth of the pockets between the teeth and gums, which makes it easier for patients to clean their teeth properly.
A bone graft may be necessary if bone loss has occurred due to periodontal disease. This procedure involves taking bone from another part of the body and grafting it into the area where the bone has been lost. This helps to restore the structure of the jaw and prevent further bone loss.
The Benefits of Periodontal Disease Therapy
- Periodontal disease therapy in Anaheim helps reduce inflammation, swelling, and gum bleeding, leading to healthier gums.
- Treating gum disease in its early stages can prevent tooth loss by addressing the underlying infection.
- Periodontal therapy can alleviate chronic bad breath associated with gum disease.
- Treating gum disease can improve oral health and prevent complications like tooth decay and bone loss.
- Treating gum disease may lower the risk of systemic health problems associated with periodontal infections, such as cardiovascular issues and diabetes.
If you have symptoms of gum disease, visit Dr. Clementine C. Ignacio, DMD, at 2415 West Lincoln Ave Suite A, Anaheim, CA 92081, or call (714) 220-1032. Early diagnosis and treatment can help to prevent further damage and save your teeth.